The cover letter example below is that of a student reapplying into the Master's program at the School of Advanced International Studies at the John Hopkins University. The student didn't beat around the bush. He mentioned upfront in the first paragraph of the cover letter that he refused a prior invitation from the school to enter the program, but stated that he was now ready to go ahead. The rest of the cover letter updated the activities he was involved in since his last application and the additional qualifications he acquired.
Graduate Admission Office
School of Advanced International Studies
Johns Hopkins University
Dear Admissions Committee:
This letter confirms my decision to reapply to your Master's program for the 2002 Fall Term. It was with the deepest regret that I was unable to accept your invitation for the 2000 Fall Term. Having surmounted the obstacles involved in that decision and having gained additional experience and perspective, I am pleased to continue my education.
My activities since that time, include:
- Service as a Senior Editor for liang.com, a respected website in China, where I direct a ten-person team covering major international events.
- Duty as a Foreign Service Officer, Analyst, and Interpreter in charge of Sino-Romanian & Sino-Moldovan Relations for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the P.R. China.
- Researching and analyzing Sino-Romanian relations and other relevant issues for China's Vice President, Premier, Deputy Premier, and Foreign Minister to facilitate their meetings with foreign counterparts.
- Providing analysis on the Southeast European peace mechanism.
Additional qualifications include:
- Serving as an attaché with the Consulate General of the P.R. China in Constantza, Romania.
- Duty in the Department of East European and Central Asian Affairs in Beijing, China.
- Fluency in numerous languages, including Chinese Mandarin (native speaker), English, and Romanian.
- International travel to numerous countries.
My commitment to understanding and improving international relations is clear and remains a constant goal.
I have submitted my online application to your esteemed institution. Included with this letter are application copies and an additional letter of recommendation.
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.