The cover letter example below is that of an applicant with 10 years of experience applying for a supply chain manager job. The cover letter emphasizes the applicant's track record by listing his accomplishments using bullet points. The third paragraph draws attention to the applicant's dedication and loyalty. When his company was acquired by another company, he was one of only 3 people asked to remain. This cover letter is very effective because it is direct and specific.
(Name of Hiring Manager, Title)
(Name of Company)
(City, State, Zip)
Dear (Mr. or Ms.) (Last Name):
Upon researching and learning more about [company name], I learned that your company shares similar focuses to mine. First, we both value innovation and dynamic thinking. I can offer more than 10 years of creative business solutions in a variety of capacities. In addition, we are both driven by real results. Although many job candidates say they are focused on results, the proof is in my experience. Here are just some of those results below:
- Proactively developed Marine Transportation Security Act compliance strategy, which was later utilized throughout the cement industry.
- Contributed to 500k MT of incremental trade sales and 300k MT of incremental trade purchases annually which resulted in significant freight and production cost reductions.
- Implemented new inter-coastal supply line, opening a new supply line to Northeast U.S., saving considerable money and improving efficiency.
- Streamlined operations by identifying and outsourcing transferable processes to service center, and providing training to center personnel.
- Created and delivered large-scale SAP BW (Business Warehouse) solutions, followed by training and support efforts to IT and business areas.
You will also find that I am dedicated and loyal. I signed on at BBB in 2000 upon completing four college internships with the company. In 2007, BBB was acquired by AAA Inc. and I was one of just three employees asked to stay on. Though my tenure with BBB and AAA has been valuable and profitable, I am excited to move on to more challenging opportunities in procurement and supply chain management, specifically in a managerial capacity.
There are surely more shared values and I would welcome a personal interview at your convenience to discuss those further and tell you more about my successful projects and qualifications. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Resume J. Rocketeer