Accounting is a career that offers boundless possibilities. Even in a struggling economy, the outlook for accounting as a profession remains strong. Employment in the field of accounting has remained steady for the past decade, although a higher-than-average number of accountants are self-employed.
Careers in Accounting
Whether you want to forge out on your own with a home-based business, or pursue leadership roles in business and industry, a career in accounting can take you almost anywhere. Following are some career paths open to professionals with an accounting degree or designation:
- Accounts payable clerk
- Accounts receivable clerk
- Budget analyst
- Chief financial officer
- Forensic accountant
- Internal auditor
- Payroll clerk
- Tax consultant
Where to Look for Jobs in Accounting
The following job search websites focus on accounting:
- The American Institute of CPAs – AICPA has an in-depth career section, including job postings for CPA members.
- The American Accounting Association is the premier community of accountants in academia and boasts a career page for academic postings.
- Accounting and Financial Women’s Alliance’s stated goal is to enable women in all accounting and finance fields to achieve their full potential and to contribute to their profession. It also has active job listings.
- The Big 4 – The top 4 global accounting firms have career pages where they feature job openings within their organizations, as well as insights in terms of the types of professionals they are looking for.
- CPA Canada – CPA Canada has a section discussing career options and professional development opportunities for its members.
- CPA Source – A website maintained by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada to provide career support to CPA Canada members and students.
- The top 4 global accounting firms also have Canadian websites.
Accounting Resume Samples
- Accounting Internship Resume
- Accounting Manager Resume
- Accounting Specialist Resume
- Accounts Payable Clerk Resume
- Accounts Receivable Specialist Resume
- Auditor Resume
- Billing Clerk Resume
- Bookkeeper Resume
- Collection Agent Resume
- Collections Manager Resume
- Controller Resume
- Income Tax Accountant Resume
- Market Controller / Business Manager Resume
- Senior Accounting Professional Resume
This article from Leslie Toth, MBA, CPRW, PHR, SHRM-CP gives some practical tips on how to improve your resume if you work in finance or accounting: