Retail is a diverse and exciting industry that offers a wide range of interesting career paths for anyone who enjoys working with the public, has strong communication skills, and loves to multi-task. Essentially, retail includes any role where selling to the public is involved. This can include a storefront, office or online business.
Retail is a bustling sector of the American economy. It is the nation’s largest private sector employer, supporting one in four U.S. jobs – 42 million, to be exact. It contributes $2.6-trillion to the annual GDP and serves as a barometer for the strength of the overall economy.
Because of this large contribution to the economy, jobs in retail are available for a wide range of companies, whether it be car dealerships or clothing retailers. And, according to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, the outlook for the retail sector remains strong, with jobs for retail sales workers expected to increase 7% from 2014 to 2024, which is about average for all jobs.
Careers in Retail
Entry-level jobs in retail often require no special training or certification, although retail sales workers need to have strong communication skills, an abundance of patience and other “soft” skills that will help with interactions with customers. Those with a background in business, marketing or management can earn management or supervisory roles in retail, overseeing individual or multiple sales locations.
Retail workers can earn anywhere from $22,000 a year in entry-level sales positions to $43,000 for supervisory roles.
Some potential job titles in retail include:
- Assistant manager
- Customer service representative
- Display assistant
- Sales associate
- Sales manager
- Store manager supervisor
- Retail buyer
- Retail team leader
Where to Look for Jobs in Retail
The following job search websites focus on retail:
- National Retail Federation – NRF is the world’s largest retail trade association, representing discount and department stores, wholesalers, grocers, chain restaurants and internet retailers from the United States and more than 45 countries. NRF offers a searchable job bank that lists a wide range of jobs across the United States.
- World Alliance for Retail Excellence and Standards – WARES is a non-profit trade association representing retailers, manufacturers and service companies involved in the in-store experience. Its job bank allows for search by title and location.
- Retail Dive – This online resource provides industry news and analysis and features a searchable job bank.
- Retail Council of Canada – The RCC bills itself as the “Voice of Retail in Canada” since 1963. Its “RCC Retail Job Connect” provides recent job postings, and subscribers can get regular updates emailed their way.
Retail Resume Samples
- Apparel Retail Store Manager Resume
- Cell Phone Sales Manager Resume
- Grocery Store Manager Resume
- Location Manager Resume
- Loss Prevention Management Professional Resume
- Pricing Analyst Resume
- Retail, Operations and Sales Manager Resume
- Retail Sales Associate Resume