Sales professionals are in great demand. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, sales and sales-related jobs are expected to grow five per cent between now and 2024, leading to 778,000 new jobs in the United States.
Sales jobs can include a wide range of roles and responsibilities, and are needed in a large range of businesses, whether they have a storefront operation or are more focused on direct sales in individual homes. The median annual salary range for sales is $26,500, which is lower than the median annual salary for all occupations, which sits at $36,200.
A high school education is typically enough for entry level sales positions, although ongoing training and certification is often part of any role in the ever-changing sales industry. The best sales representatives are those who commit to ongoing training programs, seeking out the latest information to put them ahead of others in their field. Sales professionals should have strong communication and negotiating skills.
Where to Look for Jobs in Sales
The following job search websites focus on sales jobs:
- National Association of Sales Professionals – NASP is an organization that is dedicated to helping sales professionals grow in their career, with online training and articles designed to help foster that growth. NASP’s website provides a career center that includes a searchable job bank and allows you to post multiple versions of your resume, tailored to different job searches.
- The Sales Association – TSA is dedicated to professional development for sales and business professionals. Its job board features everything from entry level sales positions to management roles.
- The Sales Management Association – TSMA provides tools and training to sales professionals, particularly those in a management role. Its job board allows you to search by keyword and location, as well as to share job postings via social media.
- Sales and Marketing Executives International – SMEI aims to certify sales and marketing professionals and provide ongoing education to help further their career. Its job board provides a searchable database, and allows you to upload your resume.
- The American Association of Inside Sales Professions – AA-ISP engages in research studies and leader roundtables to discover the latest trends and insights in the sales industry and shares it with its members. AA-ISP’s job board includes a searchable database, and allows you to create an online profile.
- Canadian Professional Sales Association – CPSA does not have a job board, but it does offer networking opportunities and sales seminars designed to help further your sales career. It also posts job opportunities within CPSA itself.
Sales Resume Samples
- Account Representative Resume
- Business Development and Regional Sales Manager Resume
- Car Salesperson Resume
- Cell Phone Sales Manager Resume
- Channel Sales Senior Professional Resume
- Executive Managing Director Resume
- Experienced Sales Director Resume
- Medical Equipment Salesperson Resume
- Pharmaceutical Sales Resume
- Pharmaceutical Sales Manager Resume
- Real Estate Agent Resume
- Retail, Operations and Sales Manager Resume
- Retail Sales Associate Resume
- Sales Account Specialist Resume
- Sales and Operations Executive Resume
- Sales Director Resume
- Sales Executive Resume
- Sales Manager Resume
- Senior Business Development Manager Resume
- Senior Sales Executive Resume
- Specialty Sales Management Professional Resume
- Technical Machinery and Device Sales Manager Resume
- Telemarketer Resume
- Vice-President Sales & Business Development Resume
Leslie Toth offers some tips on how to write a good sales resume: Sales Resume: How to Write a Compelling One, Including Examples.
Sales Cover Letter Samples
- Business Development and Software Sales Cover Letter
- Insurance Agent Cover Letter
- Real Estate Agent Cover Letter
- Sales and Operations Executive Cover Letter
- Sales Assistant Cover Letter
- Sales Assistant (Entry-Level) Cover Letter
- Sales Department Supervisor Cover Letter
- Sales Manager Cover Letter
- Sales Representative – Cargo Division Cover Letter
- Technical Machinery and Device Sales Manager Cover Letter