The cover letter example below is that of a vice-president finance applying for a position with an international bank. Central to this cover letter is the applicant's emphasis on his track record at:
- increasing revenue by identifying and correcting defects in financial system calculations;
- designing and implementing a profitability analysis that eliminated excessive costs;
- accelerating performance reporting turn-over from 1 month down to 1 day; and
- streamlining and centralizing global organization of over 1,000 branches.
These accomplishments make this cover letter hard to ignore. It cannot be emphasized enough that in order to have a strong cover letter, fancy words are often not enough. The strongest cover letters are the ones that show strong track records as an indicator of future performance.
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
January 2, 2005
Mr. Bailey Addison
International Finance Bank
456 Oak Street
New York, NY 22222
Dear Mr. Addison,
More than ever, international banks need proven performers who get results in competitive environments and a tough economy. My record as a finance executive speaks for itself:
- Increased revenue $2.5 million annually by identifying and correcting defects in financial system calculations.
- Designed and implemented "Profitability Analysis" program that eliminated over $36 million in excessive costs.
- Accelerated performance reporting turn-over from one month to one day, impacting 46,000 global accounts.
- Streamlined and centralized global organization of over 1,000 branches, reducing company budget 21%.
I am confident I can deliver similar results for International Finance Bank, adding to your company's exceptional reputation for exceeding client expectations and generating superior shareholder returns. In my current position as Executive Vice President of Corporate Banking, I have led my teams to deliver a four-fold increase in profitability, and more than tripled operating margins through a variety of reporting, performance, and process reengineering initiatives.
As a senior executive with over 14 years of experience in the financial service industry, one of my primary goals has been to lead both by personal example and by the effective management of individuals. My consistent success is largely due to the ability to build and maintain a principle-focused environment that preserves the company's fundamental values while stimulating progress and growth.
Implementing hands-on strategies and providing personal contact, I believe, are essential to building successful business relationships. I am effective at establishing and maintaining business alliances as well as developing strategic programs that increase revenue and add value.
My goal is to secure an executive position with an organization in need of strong and decisive leadership. I welcome the opportunity to explore my potential contribution to your corporate banking operations, revenues, and bottom line. Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to discussing the possibilities.