Administrative assistants are needed in virtually every industry, whether it be in the non-profit sector, tech industries, or high finance. They are the glue that holds together organizations, and they are the fleet of professionals that make sure important tasks are completed on time and with precision.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the need for administrative professionals is expected to grow three per cent from 2014 to 2024, which is slower than average for most professions. Those with strong computer skills, particularly with knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs, are likely to have better prospects than those without.
Administrative assistants can be found in a wide variety of industries, but many are found in schools, hospitals, government offices, and legal and medical settings. The majority of roles are full-time.
Where to Look for Administrative Assistant Jobs
The following job search sites have a particular focus for administrative assistants:
- The Association of Executive and Administrative Professionals – AEAP is an association aimed at helping professionals working in administration have a rewarding career and stay ahead of changes within the profession.
- The American Society of Administrative Professionals – ASAP was established in 2005 to provide online development opportunities and resources to address the changing roles and responsibilities of administrative professionals and executive assistants. It has 60,000 members worldwide.
- The International Association of Administrative Professionals – IAAP is a non-profit association that provides office and administrative professionals the opportunity to connect, learn, lead, and excel in what they do.
- Association of Legal Administrators – ALA’s job bank features a range of administrative jobs within the legal profession.
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management – AAHAM focuses on the healthcare industry and has a job board accessible to members only.
- Association of Administrative Assistants – AAA offers the Qualified Administrative Assistant (QAA) Program for those interested in advancing their skills. It also has a job board open to the public.
Administrative Assistant Resume Samples
- Administrative Assistant Resume
- Executive Assistant Resume
- Office Assistant Resume
- Office Support Assistant Resume