Information technology professionals are needed in virtually every industry. It is hard to think of any segment of today’s society that doesn’t rely on computers. Wherever a computer system is in place, IT professionals are needed.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the growth of the industry will continue to outpace the American economy. Over the next ten years, the need for computer and information technology professionals is expected to grow 12 per cent – more than twice the rate of job growth in the overall economy, which sits at 5 per cent. By 2024, computer and information technology jobs will number nearly 4.4 million.
This growth is related to the growth in cloud computing, the need for greater data storage and collection, and more everyday items being connected to the Internet, generally referred to as the “Internet of Things.”
The median annual wage for computer and information technology professionals was $81,430 in May 2015, much higher than the median annual wage for the entire economy, which sits at $36,200.
Those entering computer and information technology roles generally require at least a bachelor’s degree, although some positions might only require some post-secondary courses or other certification programs.
Where to Look for Jobs in IT
The following job search sites are dedicated to careers in information technology:
- Association for Computing Machinery – ACM represents the computing industry globally, with more than half of its 100,000 members located outside the United States. Its job bank allows you to search its database and create job alerts.
- Network Professional Association – NPW focuses on providing support and industry insight to computer network professionals. Its job bank allows you to search by keyword and location.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society – IEEE-CS is the world’s leading membership organization dedicated to computer science and technology. Its job board also includes career advice, webinars and document templates for the job search.
- Canada’s Association of IT Professionals – CIPS provides technical awareness, education and networking events for IT professionals. Its job board provides a variety of IT job postings across Canada.
- Information Technology Association of Canada – ITAC focuses on industry advocacy, networking and professional development services for its members.
IT Resume Samples
- Application Analyst Resume
- Business Data Analyst Resume
- Computer Networking Administrator Resume
- Computer Repair Technician Resume
- Data Engineer Resume
- Database Administrator Resume
- Desktop Support Technician Resume
- Geographic Information Systems Specialist Resume
- Help Desk Specialist Resume
- Information Technology Resume
- Information Technology (IT) & Project Manager Resume
- IT Analyst Resume
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator Resume
- Network Administrator Resume
- Oracle Database Administrator Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Senior IT Executive Resume
- Senior Network Engineer Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- Unix Systems Administrator Resume
IT Cover Letter Samples
- Business Data Analyst Cover Letter
- Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) Cover Letter
- IT Manager Cover Letter
- Server and Systems Administrator Cover Letter