phone | email | LinkedIn address
Senior Executive leveraging expertise in general management, government relations, and business development to advance market entry, territory expansion, and account growth for global organizations operating in African countries. Develops big-picture strategies to guide boards on action plans that drive immediate and long-term financial benefits.
- Gained banking licenses and opened operations in Uganda, Cameroon, Tanzania, Kenya, and Zambia.
- Managed up to $25M in P&L in country-wide general management positions.
- Identified talent for succession planning and built the corporate culture for a 500-member organization.
- Lobbied the governments of Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania to change VISA policy for Nigerians.
Company Name (2011 – 2016)
Contracted as a Senior-Level Consultant & Interim Regional CEO to open markets in East Africa for the organization.
- Met with government and industry stakeholders to acquire licenses for banking businesses in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda in stage one and Rwanda, Burambi, and South Sudan in stage two.
- Advised on market entry strategies, business plans, sales channels, corporate structuring, and client acquisition.
Bank Name (2005 – 2010)
East Africa & MD
Overcame a ten-year moratorium on granting banking licenses in several African countries including Kenya, Tanzania, and Zambia, facilitating new openings throughout East Africa; assumed position of Regional CEO (2008 – 2010).
- Coordinated operations and strategic planning to expand bank operations; encouraged continuous development of innovative products, launching 30+ new services to each country in two years.
- Implemented a strong risk framework to protect bank assets while limiting corporate liabilities.
- Monitored economic, business, regulatory, and market trends to assess potential impact on bank operations and formulate strategies for change management as needed.
Obtained banking license and built operations from the ground up, assuming the role of Managing Director/CEO (2007 – 2008) to lead 120 employees and administer up to $900K P&L after one year. Drove cross-functional cooperation between finance, business development, marketing, operations, human resources, and administrative affairs.
- Represented the bank to regulatory bodies and other authorities in the country as well as internal/external stakeholders; advised board members on growth strategies, business plans, and operating budgets.
- Developed internal policies and procedures as well as controls to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Mentored team members in presentation and communication skills to support growth and career development.
Gained banking license to open a new market and acted as Project Coordinator (2007) to establish two offices in the country; ran operations and directed department/business performance as well as stakeholder communications.
- Led a 45-member team of professionals to craft and advance the bank’s business strategy.
- Established internal monitoring, control systems, processes, and procedures and advised the board on short- and long-term development strategies, business plans, and annual operating budgets.
Transitioned post-merger to serve as the new Group Treasurer (2005) and oversaw a $6B balance sheet. Advanced to Group Executive Office Head (2006), acting as liaison between the Group Managing Director and Executive Directors/subsidiary CEOs. Promoted to Deputy Group Chief Credit Officer (2006 – 2007) to lead commercial lending.
- Integrated treasury activity for two companies with a combined $30M annual revenue; consolidated personnel and physical resources, built a new corporate culture, and developed cohesive policies and procedures.
- Reviewed credit applications for corporate loans and handled relations with internal/external stakeholders.
- Served as an Alternate Board Member for Hilton Hotels and federal committees.
- Expanded loan activity 25% to $66M in less than three years, delivering $20M annual revenue.
Professional Overview continued…
Bank Name (2003 – 2004)
Hired as the Assistant General Manager, serving as the divisional head of Treasury and Financial Services; promoted to group head of the department as Deputy General Manager. Directed 25 employees and $15M annual revenue.
- Managed the bank’s financial institutions throughout the region with a $45M combined balance sheet.
- Advanced treasury, dealing, funding, and market making activities in new LCY and FCY.
- Established market risk and FCY units to reverse losses earned in previous fiscal years; turned around performance and achieved a $7M annual profit.
Bank Name (1999 – 2002)
Took on roles with increasing accountability and scope, advancing from Deputy Manager (1999 – 2000) to Manager, Corporate Banking (2000 – 2002), Manager & Extended Target Market Head (2002), and Senior Manager (2002). Managed five direct reports across multiple locations; oversaw $1.9M annual revenue in most senior position.
- During three-year tenure, built and strengthened relationships with more than 20 top-tier local corporations.
- Appointed to the credit committee to manage facilities and define bank-wide lending policy; directed lines of credit from implementation to collections for regional businesses.
- Led the remedial management unit, setting up recovery and hard collection activity countrywide.
- Oversaw metals packaging, mining, and gas sectors for 15+ months, growing clientele 48%.
- Established a department to target SMEs, opening a new market segment for Citibank in northern Nigeria.
- Advised in business planning and finance management for the SME unit; strengthened relationships and improved services for existing clientele; and drove business development efforts to expand business 34% to $7.5M.
Bank Name (1996 – 1998)
Held positions of Senior Banking Office Corporate Banking (1996 – 1997), Assistant Manager (1997 – 1998), and Deputy Manager (1998). Managed various segments including multinational corporate accounts, construction, shipping, foreign airlines, commodities and transportation. Managed three direct reports.
- Drove business development efforts and account management for commodities and transport segments.
- Provided first-rate client interface to minimize account turnover and create customer loyalty.
- Handled conversion, credit structure, and advisory services for key strategic clients valued in excess of $6M.
Began career with Company Name as a Treasury & Accounts Officer, handling account relationship and deposit mobilization. Advanced to Head of Finance & Accounting and then Head of Small & Medium Enterprises to manage relationships in the Eastern States.
Education & Professional Development
MBA, Marketing & BS, Accounting – University Name
Sales & Negotiation Program – University Name
Committee & Board Experience
Chairman, Head Office Disciplinary Committee ▪ Customer Service Delivery Committee Secretary ▪ IT Steering Committee Member ▪ Products Committee Member ▪ Credit Committee Member ▪ Hilton FGPC Board Member ▪ Aviation Crisis Committee ▪ Member of the Monetary Policy Committee of CIBN ▪ First Bond Issue Committee ▪ CIBN Monetary Policy Committee ▪ Cost Optimization Committee