100 River Road • New York, NY 10000
555.555.5555 (Res) • 555.666.6666 (Cell) • [email protected]
15 years successful experience providing fiscal, strategic and
operations leadership in uniquely challenging situations
Dynamic, results-oriented leader with a strong track record of performance in turnaround and high-paced organizations. Utilize keen analysis and insights and team approach to drive organizational improvements and implementation of best practices. Superior interpersonal skills, capable of resolving multiple and complex (sales, human resources, legal, financial, operational) issues and motivating staff to peak performance. Excellent political connections developed as selected member of Fiorello LaGuardia's mayoral team. Additional areas of expertise include:
- Strategy, Vision & Mission Planning
- Sales & Marketing Leadership
- Profitability & Cost Analysis
- Programs, Services & Products
- Billing, Collections & Cash Management
- Contract Negotiations & Strategic Alliances
- Finance, Budgeting & Cost Management
- Public Relations & Media Affairs
- Policy & Procedure Development
- Government Regulations & Relations
- Human Resources Management
- Team Building & Performance Improvement
NJ STATE SENATE CAMPAIGN, 2002
Led grass-roots Republican campaign and garnered 35% of vote in predominantly Democratic district. Maintained positive campaign with hundreds of volunteers and no paid staff. Ran against incumbent who had been in office 8 years.
- Earned endorsement from Mayor, local newspaper, Democratic District Leaders and Democratic clubs in Brooklyn. Endorsed by 17 Democratic ministers.
- Exhibited tireless energy, positive attitude and visionary leadership.
PRESIDENT / CEO, 1996 – 2002
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION, NEW YORK, NY
President and CEO of $250 million NYS public health benefit corporation that controls and develops more than 1 million square feet of commercial and residential property in midtown Manhattan near the United Nations. Served on the cabinet of Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia and acted as his surrogate at various public functions. Accountable for staff of 356 FTEs managed through 6 direct reports. Provided fiscal, strategic and operational leadership to reduce indebtedness and improve operating results. Revamped internal procedures and controls, reorganized/ reallocated staff and implemented best practices and performance monitoring systems in support of continuous improvement.
- Withdrew sale of under-performing UN Plaza Hotel from market, repackaged property and successfully sold hotel for $100+ million - more than double original expectations and representing one of the largest privatization projects in the City and State of New York.
- Sold 300,000 square feet of Class A commercial condominium space for $60 million.
- Negotiated and secured a lease extension with the United Nations for more than 600,000 square feet of office space, ensuring the UN's presence in New York City for the next 25 years.
- Reduced corporate indebtedness by 30% and maintained A bond rating. Worked in conjunction with NYC Economic Development Corporation and issued $160M in refunding two new General Obligation bond offerings.
- Increased gross revenues by $80M through rent escalation charges. Improved cash collections reducing DSO (Days Sales Outstanding) by 50%.
JOHN DOE, PAGE 2
COMMISSIONER / CEO, 1994 – 1996
CITY OF NEWARK, DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH SERVICES, NEWARK, NJ
As member of Mayor's cabinet, managed major city agency overseeing the funding and operations of 850 community-based organizations serving over 1 million inner-city youths. Developed and tracked $150 million budget. Challenged to turnaround troubled agency to improve performance and reduce funding requirements. Led a private-sector approach to operations driving accountability and utilization of proven business practices.
- Revamped entire department bringing in all new Commissioner. Redesigned internal procedures and controls to track contract development and vendor payments. Established Key Performance Indicators for all operating departments. Introduced numerous managerial/ operational improvements including computerized production of backlog reports, staff cross-training and resource redeployment.
- Conducted internal audits to identify systemic problems. Personally visited and evaluated majority of programs eliminating poor performers. Assigned accountability to each Deputy Commissioner/ Director for quality and to ensure adherence to new standards and policies.
- Setup new agency payment processing system to tighten cash management and reduced payments from 90 to 5 days allowing all agencies to continue operations without disruption.
- Significantly enhanced the RFP process raising the bar on agency standards and qualifications and developing better qualified pool of Community Based Organizations.
- Initiated first-ever "City Serve Awards" providing recognition and motivation to youth service participants.
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT / OPERATIONS MANAGER, 1986 – 1994
CHEMICAL BANK, NEW YORK, NY
Assigned to currency processing group, overseeing portfolio in excess of $3 billion. Challenged to eliminate departmental losses stemming from excess costs and process inefficiencies. Documented work procedures for every job. Initiated cross training and employee development. Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; worked with all levels of staff to understand processes and provide leadership, recognition and motivation.
- Turned results from $300K loss to $50K loss in first year.
- Performed complete audit of internal processes diagramming all business workflows. Eliminated redundant positions and outsourced specialty functions. Instituted part-time college student program allowing move from 2-shift to 3-shift operation while reducing costs and FTEs. Slashed turnaround time from seven days to one.
- Creatively reduced currency processing time by eliminating physical verification of $1/$5 bundles based on realization that small adjustments were less costly than time incurred to verify.
- Conceptualized and implemented creative and compelling marketing program that increased revenues by 20%.
Harvard University, BS in Economics
BOARDS & MEMBERSHIPS (Partial listing)
Board of Trustees, City University of New York, Chair Faculty Staff Administration Committee
Board of Directors, Richmond County Savings Bank Foundation
Board of Directors, Staten Island Community Televisions, Former President
Former President, NAACP Staten Island, Increased membership 300% in one year
Former Board Member, Society for Seamen's Children
Former Board Member and Finance Committee Chair, Christ United Methodist Church
Board of Directors, State Island University Hospital
Former Member, Staten Island YMCA Committee on Management
HONORS & AWARDS (Recipient of more than 100 honors – partial listing)
- Man of the Millennium, Staten Island Friends for Hospice Care
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian/ Brotherhood Award
- New York Governor's Award, African Americans of Achievement
- African American Leader in New York City Award, Wagner College
- Outstanding Community Service Award, Public School 57
- Leadership Award, Chemical Bank
- Distinguished Community Service Award, YMCA
- President's Medal of Honor, College of Staten Island
- Leadership Award, Staten Island Branch NAACP
- Commitment to Youth Award, MS 158 Beacon Program