215 North Walk • Atlanta, GA 30301
770.555.2349 Res • 404.555.1325 Cell • [email protected]
IT DIRECTOR | CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
10+ years of IT experience including 8+ years of broad-based management in Systems Design and Development, Implementation and Support. Strategically and cost effectively utilize technology in alignment with corporate goals. Consistently improve delivery times and service levels while reducing costs. Excel at strategic planning, building high-performance teams, project management, and implementing best practice methodologies and continuous improvement programs. Certified Six Sigma Black Belt. Proven areas of expertise include:
- Strategic Planning
- Organizational Development
- Budget Development & Management
- Contract Negotiations & Management
- Infrastructure Design & Implementation
- Process Improvements & Best Practices
- Project Management
- Continuous Improvement
- Cost Containment
- Large Scale Deployments
- System Architectures
- Rapid Deployments
- Structured Methodologies
- Data Center Management
- Change Management
VP INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, 2001 – PRESENT
AMERICAN TELEPHONE, ATLANTA, GA
Provider of residential and commercial telecommunications services.
NATIONAL SERVICE DIRECT, ATLANTA, GA
Provider of telemarketing services to such customers as AT&T, Direct TV and Harris Publishing.
Reporting to the President/ CEO, recruited to manage IT and telephony operations for North America Telephone Network and quickly awarded added responsibilities for sister company, National Service Direct. Oversee all IT functions including data center management, vendor relationships, technical support, application development, financial monitoring and disaster recovery planning. Manage operating budget and direct activities of 20+ staff.
Challenged to improve productivity and reduce costs through improved uses of technology. Utilized Six Sigma methodologies and collaborated with department managers to analyze and document process and system workflows. Authored plan to improve software development process, consolidate/ upgrade servers and establish consistent hardware/ software standards to eliminate unstable, highly mixed operating environment.
Installed redundant servers and increased line capacity. Launched massive effort overseeing teams of programmers (using C and 4GL in Unix environment) to review and rewrite over 75 key software applications. Implemented change control and process documentation for all aspects of the business including new software and telephony upgrades. Deployed hardware monitoring system including multi-tier paging alerts for system issues. Initiated Knowledge Repository and Project Office Intranet to store all documentation in centralized location.
- Consolidated and stabilized servers improving hardware uptime from 70% to 99%.
- Reduced software downtime from 50% to <2%.
- Transitioned firm to employ reusable object oriented programming modules for applications development slashing time-to-deliver by 50%.
- Implemented rigorous development and testing processes decreasing software defects by 60%.
- Slashed manual processes by 50% with resultant reduction in overhead costs.
- Altered staffing model to include third shift operations increasing on-time delivery of data to clients by 50%.
- Reanalyzed network traffic, eliminated unnecessary routing and equipment and reduced costs by 33%.
- Completed migration of all servers from SCO Unix to RedHat Linux reducing Unix-based application development time 25% by standardizing on single operating system.
- Implemented centralized system for corporate Quality Assurance group to monitor call center activity decreasing call rejection rate by 5%.
MICHAEL HEWITT, Page 2 of 2
APAC CUSTOMER SERVICES, CEDAR RAPIDS, IA, 1992 – 2001
$450M telemarketing firm with 90 Call centers and approximately 14,000 employees.
Successive career progression in increasing roles of responsibility for applications development efforts.
DIRECTOR OF APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT, 1998 – 2001
Managed, directly and indirectly, 60 personnel (Managers, Programmers, Programmer Analysts, System Analysts, Team Leads, EIS support specialist and Project Managers) accountable for the ongoing maintenance, development and implementation of projects for over 90 outbound Call Centers supporting $450 million in revenues. Challenged to improve responsiveness and ROI of efforts, increase quality of work as defined by quicker development times and fewer software defects, and integrate disparate technologies arising from recent company acquisition.
Developed and managed $6M budget. Aligned IT team with business units to develop business expertise and improve quality and responsiveness in support of 400+ new monthly work orders. Qualified new business opportunities, drafted response to RFP's and oversaw the design and implementation of software for new clients to send/ receive data. Led architecture direction strategies and promoted Visual Basic, Java, C and HTML development in a Unix/ Oracle DBMS environment. Established data warehouse providing customer access through secure internet site.
- Increased efficiency of development group by 25% through matrix organizational structure that allowed for responsive shift of experts to meet user needs.
- Reduced software defects from 450/month to 35 by assigning developer accountability, establishing firm rules for object oriented module re-use, and introducing advanced code generation tools.
- Reduced staffing by over 25% within first 6 months while supporting increased business requirements.
- Managed core team of 18 for successful Y2K program converting 90 client applications in under 6 months.
- Decreased the amount of trouble tickets by 90% using new quality and development procedures.
INTERNAL BUSINESS MANAGER, 1996 – 1998
Managed staff of 12 responsible for all business systems development including payroll, timekeeping, data modeling and request processing software. Represented the company throughout the entire sales process to ensure that internal IT capabilities were communicated effectively and implemented according to company standards. Evaluated profitability and viability of new business opportunities presented by independent business units.
- Managed selection and implementation of Lawson Financial Package to on-time delivery.
- Implemented TCS timekeeping system used by 90 Call Centers in support of 14,000 employees eliminating payroll errors, improving labor tracking and decision-making.
- Developed automated interview system reducing HR interviews by 70%.
AT&T SYSTEM MANAGER, 1994 – 1996
Led staff of programmers developing customized outbound telemarketing applications in support of AT&T client producing $60M in revenue. Served as company liaison on IT matters. Managed 100+ new project requests monthly.
- Developed plans for 500-seat AT&T center and implemented auto load system allowing 10 simultaneous data feeds, reducing process time from 8 hours to 1.
- Setup redundant 3780 communication servers increasing uptime with 3rd party verifies by 25%.
University of Iowa, BA, Management Information Systems
Six Sigma Certification, Black Belt, 2000
Oracle Designer 2000 Certification, 1997