- Directed a 17-month, $100K strategic communications integration and branding program for new multi-divisional government agency.
- Developed an 18-month communications strategy to support introduction of major regulatory reform bill, introducing occupational licensing requirements for designers and builders.
- Represented Ministry of Economic Development as media contact at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) SME Meeting.
- Produced a presentation for the New Zealand Government's economic response to the Asian Financial Crisis, spawning positive responses from economic commentators and business leaders.
- Played key role as communication strategist in the sale, and subsequent listing, of two of New Zealand's largest airports on the New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX).
- Served as media spokesperson for the world's 4th largest dairy company following a critical service failure, water contamination, and serious injury of a farmer shareholder. Positioned company in media as both responsible and proactive.
- Provided communications advice and support regarding adversarial union negotiations to publicly-held telecommunications company, directly contributing to a cease of court action by Australian union.
- Led highly successful branding campaign for new product line developed by leading international fashion designer and a New Zealand paint manufacturer.
- Managed public relations program and served as on-location spokesperson for the NZ Army and United Nations Protective Force during "peacekeeping" mission in Bosnia.
- Integral part of creative collaboration leading to the development of an on-line women's military museum, honoring the lives of women who have served across all services, in all countries.
- Authored "Writing for Success & Presentation Skills" training workshops for public and private sectors. Conducted 3 workshops in 2 months, generating $26K in additional revenue.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE cont'd
DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTS, Sweeney Vesty, Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand, 2001-02. International consulting firm providing business strategy and communications services to clients in over 80 cities in 40 countries.
- Recruited to create sustainable communication plans and provide leadership support for key clientele. Drafted core communications and collateral materials. Monitored media and implemented PR programs as required.
- Cultivated exceptional relationships through solutions-based selling and delivering value added services. Landed account with one of the top four legal firms in New Zealand with an initial outlay of $30K.
- Served as media spokesperson and communications manager for top-tier, publicly-held company.
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER, Fletcher Building, Ltd., Auckland, New Zealand, 2001-02. Multinational manufacturer and distributor of building materials. Employs 16,000 with $5.5M in annual revenue.
- Directed the development and implementation of global communications strategy, providing up-to-date information to business leaders across New Zealand, Australia, South Pacific, Asia, North America, and South America. Managed two direct reports. Administered a $500K budget.
- Managed all PR and marketing communications activity, including the creation and application of new brand identity, investor focused website, and bi-monthly in-house magazine.
- Coordinated the preparation and dissemination of information to company shareholders and internal/ external stakeholders (press releases, investor relations, government communications, and media relations).
CHIEF COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR, Ministry of Economic Development Wellington, New Zealand, 1998-00. Government advisor working to ensure New Zealand's business environment promotes productivity and growth. Employs 800 with $100M in annual revenue.
- Recruited as communications advisor to Chief Executive and senior management on issues involving organizational development, internal communications, media management, and corporate branding.
- Facilitated the production of all core information in the preparation of briefing papers for incoming Ministers. Reviewed documents for clarity and risk. Received positive feedback from new Ministers on quality of briefing papers.
- Led corporate re-branding initiative to support Ministry's change of name and focus. Met stringent budget and deadline requirements.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS, The Treasury, Wellington, New Zealand, 1996-98. Government's leading advisor on economic and financial policy.
- Developed and managed strategic communications plan during a significant period of change for The Treasury 3/4 New Zealand had its first coalition government and the role of Treasurer was introduced.
- Directed government liaison activities between Treasure's Office, Select Committees and Parliament. Provided communications advice to senior executives regarding Budget Policy and Crown Financial statements.
- Requested by Treasurer to serve an extended term as Press Secretary to the Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer's Office. Avoided negative media coverage following an adverse report of Treasury's performance.