6612 Canal Drive • Wrightsville Breach, NC 28428
910-458-2726(H) • 910-458-3133(M) • [email protected]
SENIOR MARKETING EXECUTIVE
Record of defining, delivering, and marketing timely, profitable, leading-edge products
Consummate marketing executive with increasingly responsible experience driving product strategy and execution for Fortune 500 companies. Sophisticated understanding of marketing and finance that enables successful product-strategy development with a focus on profitability; ability to anticipate market trends, initiate timely development, and enhance value in highly competitive and mature markets. Respected as a dynamic team builder, hands-on leader and creative solutions provider. Engage in cross-departmental networking and author forward-thinking marketing plans. MBA in Marketing. Available for travel.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Strategic/ Business Planning – Product Development/ Launch – Brand Positioning/ Management – Market Research – Competitive Intelligence – Consumer Insights – Staff Development/ Leadership – Business Development – Sales Management – Continuous Improvement – Project Management – Analytical Problem Solving
- Market Intelligence – Directed a comprehensive large-scale research study on Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) market potential for the Nissan Technical Center. Determined root causes of HEV growth and forecasted influences into five-year horizon. Nissan publicly announced its entry into HEV segment, 2004.
- Project Management – Provided leadership for a $17 million, world-class project designed to educate drivers on the environment impact of Alternative Fuel Vehicles (AFVs). Provided strategic consulting to Regional Transportation Center of San Diego – an AFV education center operated by the San Diego Environmental Foundation (SDEF), 2000 – 2002.
- Product Innovation – Served as the product/ marketing launch leader in bringing many Ford products to market, including the Explorer SUV, 2nd generation Taurus, bi-fuel CNG/ LPG F-Series and Econoline, and CNG E-450 Cutaway. Streamlined audio and entertainment systems lineup across all Ford brands. Developed and marketed Ford's first navigational system, 1990 – 2002.
- Sales & Brand Management – Implemented Ford's first ever "customer focused" brand management process for retail, fleet and AFV operations in North America – achieved and sustained overall truck leadership. Led a team that outsold all competitors combined in AFV sales volume, 1997 – 2002.
- Product Marketing – Created marketing strategy that helped redefine the Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) segment. Positioned Ford Explorer as "all new" to Ford's SUV portfolio. Exceeded sales volume by 200,00 units, and improved stockholder value by $1.2 billion in variable profit contribution, 1988 – 1990.
ASG RENAISSANCE, Dearborn, MI, 2002 – Present
$25M International Professional Services Firm – Specializes in Human Capital, Marketing and Consulting – Retained by Startup, Small-Cap and Fortune 500 companies in US, UK, and Asia
Director, Business Strategy Development / Independent Consultant, GI Business Solutions
Provide strategic and tactical consulting in business development, marketing communications, and new product and service innovation to startup and high-growth companies.
- Led comprehensive market investigation designed to reposition Yamaga Motorcycle's product lineup more competitively against Harley Davidson. Study results reflected that Harley Davidson's market leverage was tied to perceived image and lifestyle, saving Yamaha millions of dollars in product development.
- Developed a claw-back strategy to regain brand equity for a HR software/ payroll processing firm with drastically declining sales – $150 million to $7 million. Created full-scale marketing intelligence and communications plan adopted by President of the firm.
- Teamed with Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) on engineering/ market assessment, and feasibility study of the design, prototype build, and sale of grid connected Hybrid Electrical shuttle buses built on modified Ford E450 chassis configuration.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY, Dearborn, MI, 1985 – 2002
$160B Public Company (NYSE:F) – One of the World's Largest Makers of Cars and Trucks
Marketing & Business Planning Director, Alternative Fuel Vehicles (2000 – 2002)
Institutionalized industry's first ever dedicated AFV business unit. Developed business plans for CNG, LPG and Electric powered vehicles planned for production. Identified market potential, marketing equation, affordable business structure (ABS), potential ROI, and image value added. Directed sales, marketing, merchandising, product positioning, brand profilers, and dealer education. Controlled $50+ million sales and marketing budget. Managed 20 direct reports and 30 indirect reports. Reported to Executive Director of National Accounts, Fleet, Leasing, and Remarketing Operations.
- Developed strategic marketing partnerships with the ENERGY Company, BC Gas, Clean Fuels, Ferrelgas, and Fuel Maker to jointly promote, market, and sell the use of AFV products.
- Led a $6.5 million restoration project for the National Parks Service and converted Glacier National Park's Red Bus Fleet to Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) operation.
- Instrumental in Ford gaining recognition as environmental sales and corporate activist leader in the automobile industry. Contributed considerable "green power" image value added for the Ford nameplate and parent brand.
Marketing Product Plans Manager / Fleet Brand Manager (1997 – 2000)
Directed marketing and product planning of all Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicle lines. Managed pricing, merchandising, product content, and competitive positioning. Synthesized consumer learning and formed conclusions to improve marketing productivity and overall business performance. Served as Fleet Brand Manager for National Account fleet markets across all product lineups. Managed 15 direct reports and 20 indirect reports. Reported to Executive Director of National Accounts, Fleet, Leasing, and Remarketing Operations.
- Landed accounts with the Texas Department of Transportation for fleet of F-150 bi-fuel LPG F-Series Trucks – Ford's largest single order of AFVs in North America.
- Recipient of the 1999 Award of Excellence for contributions on the Alternative Fuel Alliance program team, and the 2000 Award of Excellence for contributions on the Police and Taxi Fleet teams.
Marketing Launch Manager, Mid-Size Cars (1990 – 1997)
Challenged to create a path-to-market strategy for Taurus/ Sable, transform product lineup from low profit rental fleet sales to high profit retail fleet sales and maintain overall volume leadership. Carved strong brand position in sedan market around "Built with American Pride" campaign. Positioned brand as affordable and technologically advanced to gain leadership leverage over Japanese imports. Managed product launch team comprised of 50 staff members and agency personnel. Reported to General Marketing Manager.
- Ford Taurus recognized as "Car of the Year" in 1996, sustained segment leadership for three consecutive years, and profitability of brand continuously improved during this period. Recipient of the Ford Divisions Employee of the Quarter award and the Quality of Excellence award following the launch in 1996.
Early Career: Product Marketing Plans Manager, Compact Light Trucks
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION AND AFFILIATION
MBA, Marketing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
BA, Business, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Post Graduate Coursework, Math/ Statistics (30 Credit hrs), Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
Executive Leadership Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Strategic Marketing I, II, III, Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, Durham, NC
Six Sigma Green Belt, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI
Certified Personnel Mentor, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI
Certified ISO Internal Auditor, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI
Board Member, San Diego Environmental Foundation, San Diego, CA