1234 Beach Arbor Drive • Mansfield, TX 76063
Residence: (817) 478-1234 • Mobile: (817) 999-1234 • [email protected]
With Track Record of Strengthening Firefighting and Rescue Operations and Success in Providing the Community of Dallas, TX with 25+ Years of Excellent Public Service
Dedicated Fire Captain with more than 25 years of progressively responsible experience in the public service area. Strong qualifications in budgeting, personnel affairs, training, resource management, public safety, and emergency response. Well-developed leadership and analytical skills as evidenced by ability to continuously improve fire/ rescue operations and emergency medical services. Reputation for strong work ethic and uncompromising devotion to service.
SPECIFIC SKILL AREAS
- Staff Development & Leadership
- Emergency Response Procedures
- Firefighting Techniques
- Fire prevention & Enforcement
- Facility & Equipment Maintenance
- Time & Resource Allocation
- Budget Planning & Management
- Policy & Procedure Development
- Coaching, Training & Mentoring
- Public Education Programs
AWARD & RECOGNITION
Meritorious Service Award – by Dallas Fire-Rescue Department (2006)
Person of the Year, "Outstanding Community Service" – by the City of Mansfield (2006)
DALLAS FIRE-RESCUE DEPARTMENT, Dallas, TX (1981 – 2007)
Fire Captain (2004 – Present)
Fire Lieutenant (1991 – 2004)
Driver Engineer (1985 – 1991)
Second Driver (1984 – 1985)
Fire Rescue officer (1981 – 1984)
Promoted rapidly through strict promotion requirements to handle increasingly responsible positions, culminating in supervisory duty for staff of 12 employees. Hold key accountability for policy and procedure enforcement, emergency responses, station expenditures, facility and equipment inspection, personnel training, performance evaluations, and regulatory documentation and filing. Selected Accomplishments:
TEAM BUILDING & LEADERSHIP
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy in responding to citizen's complaints against firefighters and allegation of misconduct, applying corrective strategies on minor infractions and stricter measures on more serious allegations.
- Used Employee Evaluation program that enhanced targeting of strengths/ weaknesses and resulted in measurable, sustainable performance improvements.
- Earned high level of loyalty from staff and maintained excellent retention rate through fair, consistent evaluations and modeling effective on-the-job performance.
Taylor Scruggs, Page 2 of 2
Professional Experience Continued
CRISIS MANAGEMENT & RESPONSE
- Repeatedly recognized by citizens, community groups, and supervisors for quick-thinking, calm, and correct response to a multitude of crisis and emergency situations, both in the field and as a Captain.
- Assist with in-service training programs for department personnel. Personally delivered well-received comprehensive program on Flashover Survival Training.
COMMUNITY RELATIONS & INVOLVEMENT
- Built goodwill between citizens and fire department over 25-year period, with emphasis on public education programs and community service initiatives.
- Invited to participate in assessment program for fire departments in the other cities and states. Served as consultant to the Atlanta Fire Department, providing recommendations on professional development and personnel assessment techniques.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
PRAIRIE VIEW A&M UNIVERSITY, Prairie View, TX
Bachelor of Art, Mass Communication
Selected Professional Development Coursework:
Management Skills Development • Manager's Development • Flashover Survival Training • Instructional Techniques for Company Officers • Basic Officer School
Aircraft Rescue Firefighter, 2007 • Intermediate Firefighter, 2007 • CPR & First Aid, 2007 • Fire Ground Safety Officer, 2005
AFFILIATIONS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Member – Black Firefighters Association of Dallas (1985 – Present)
Member – Faithful Friend's Missionary (1994 – Present)
Member – Common Ground Network (1994 – Present)
Member – Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (1981 – Present)
Versed in: Windows OS, Microsoft Office, Internet, and email.