JONAS SALK, M.D.
123 Main Street • New York, NY 10001
555.555.4321 • [email protected]
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH MEDICAL DIRECTOR
Extensive experience leading Occupational Health and Safety programs with sterling track record of reducing work related injuries and worker's compensation costs. One of the few doctors nationwide trained and board certified in both General Surgery and Occupational Medicine. Author of book "Workers' Compensation", presently in publication process. Board Certified in Occupational Medicine, General Surgery and Forensic Medicine; workplace drug testing legal consultant. Practiced in collaborating with organizations to survey work conditions and improve wellness, health and safety programs. Equally strong in leading medical facilities to new heights in revenues and patient satisfaction.
MEDICAL DIRECTOR | 2002 – PRESENT
ABC INTEGRATED DEFENSE SYSTEMS | NEW YORK, NY
Independent contractor through HealthFirst providing on-site management of medical care for 5,000+ employees. Direct activities of Occupational Health Nurse, Secretary, Safety & Health Specialist, X-Ray technician and Medical Assistant. Challenged to minimize occupational injuries, ensure safe working environments and drive wellness programs.
- Reduced work injury rate 65% from 5.0% to 1.75%.
- Treat occupational injuries and illnesses and perform surveillance examinations for Berylliosis and Asbestosis. Make medical and safety recommendations.
- Perform fitness for duty evaluations and work closely with HR to authorize and monitor Leave of Absences in collaboration with treating MD.
- Streamlined office processes to increase efficiencies and provide improved service. Developed policies and procedures for all departmental functions to ensure compliance.
- Transitioned office from paper-based, manual systems to fully computerized processes allowing improved identification of trends and injuries.
MEDICAL DIRECTOR | 2000 – 2002
NETWORK, OCCUPATIONAL MEDICAL CENTER | BROOKLYN, NY
Contracted to provide medical leadership for this Center owned by Manhattan Community Hospital and affiliated with the Adventist Group. Managed 15 health and administrative professionals. Recruited to increase services and convert clinic from Industrial to Occupational Medical center.
- Provided Medical Center Occupational Health to 1,300 hospital employees in addition to major corporate clients including Target, Costco, Kern Medical Center, First Transit, Amtrak, US Postal Service, major oil and trucking companies, Guy Chaddock furniture and County and City employees.
- Leveraged surgical skills to expand scope services.
- Achieved 99% patient satisfaction rate.
- Reduced specialist referral rate to <10%.
- Ranked as 4th lowest of 22 Adventist Group hospitals in workman's compensation costs.
- Trained medical staff in patient assessment, surgical assistance, and customer service.
- Increased referrals from insurance companies based on an earned reputation for fairness and responsive, cost-effective care.
- Worked with corporate clients to reduce work-related injuries by performing surveillance of work conditions and collaborating with managers to improve Safety & Prevention programs.
Jonas Salk, MD, page 2
MEDICAL DIRECTOR | 1998 – 1999
WASHINGTON OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH | NEWARK, NJ
Recruited to grow this 1,200 sq. ft. satellite clinic of Eisenhower Hospital, to provide occupational medical care to residents in a growing suburban area.
- Increased number of patients by more than 50%, reaching full capacity of office.
- Hired, trained and directed the work of a cross-functional team, including Physical Therapists, X-Ray Technicians and marketing professionals.
- Visited client work sites to assess occupational health risks and employee musculoskeletal injuries; gave presentations to employees on various topics including back injuries, pain management, work stress/ harassment and workers' compensation.
- Developed strong working relationships with UPS, Ritz-Carlton, Palm Springs Unified School District, Laidlaw and local police departments.
MEDICAL DIRECTOR | 1996 – 1998
RURAL & OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH CLINIC, GROVER HOSPITAL | NEWARK, NJ
Assumed leadership of new primary healthcare clinic, licensed under the USDHHS Rural Health Act, to serve a growing area of 8,000 residents.
- Increased number of patients from 100 per months to 2,000.
- Hired and trained Nurse Practitioner, Physical Therapist and Physician Assistants.
- Successfully introduced prenatal/ obstetric, pain management and orthopedic services.
GENERAL SURGERY AND INDUSTRIAL MEDICINE | 1980 – 1995
PRIVATE PRACTICE | NEW YORK, NY
Provided office/ hospital patient care and corporate consulting services, specializing in general surgery and occupational medicine.
- Clients included Lenox Hill Hospital System, NY Zoo, NY City government.
- Worked with union and non-union employees on occupational injuries, with expertise in hand injuries.
- Evaluated patients for permanent disability and hand surgery.
- Developed the flap rotation technique, now commonly used, to close hip/ black ulcers.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
MPH Program: Occupational Medicine
St. John Hospital, Detroit, MI
Residency: General Surgery
Detroit Memorial Hospital, Detroit, MI
Wayne State University Medical School, Detroit, MI
Doctor of Medicine
California License – C27702 | Michigan License – F794859
DEA – AS8638352 | X-ray Supervisor and Operator #RHD137532
Qualified Medical Examiner (QME), California #917815, 1994 – 2002
American Board of Preventive Medicine, Occupational Medicine
American Board of Forensic Medicine | American Board of Surgery
College American College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine
American College of Preventive Medicine | Medical Review Officer Certification Council