JESSICA S. PARKS
90 Twin Pines Road • Brentwood, NY 11717 • (631) 222-4501
PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Dedicated educator with five years of experience seeking a position as physical education teacher. Maintains a passion for instilling in children the importance of lifelong learning, health, and fitness. Serves as a role model through extensive participation in fitness activities and coaching of competitive (basketball/ volleyball) and noncompetitive activities with a focus on team sportsmanship, physical strength, endurance, and flexibility.
Physical Fitness • Team Participation • Confidence Building • Goal Setting • Responsibility • Socialization
New York State Provisional Certification in Physical Education
New York State Permanent Certification in Elementary Education, Pending
Certified Health Fitness Specialist, Physical Best, CPR for Children and Adults
Hofstra University, Garden City, NY
Master of Arts in Physical Education, 2003
Graduated with Honors: Phi Epsilon Kappa Physical Education Society
Queens College, Flushing, NY
Bachelor of Arts in English with a Concentration in Elementary Education, 1999
Continuing Education Workshops
Athletes Helping Athletes • Project Adventure • Violence Prevention for School Personnel
Third Grade Teacher, St. Francis Lutheran School, Brentwood, NY | 9/02 - Present
- Manage a stimulating classroom with 23 students with responsibility for teaching, testing, grading, assessment, conduct, parent communications, and coordination of extracurricular and athletic activities.
- Design and teach cross-curricular lessons and units in areas of science, social studies, literature, grammar, spelling, writing, and math in accordance with New York State teaching standards.
- Instill in students a love of reading, writing and expression through guided, shared, and independent exercises including monthly book projects, creative writing assignments, Diorama creations, and oral presentations.
- Work closely with pullout resource room teachers to provide reluctant learners with reading reinforcement.
- Incorporate the use of technology in the learning process utilizing Reading Counts interactive quizzes.
- Serve as a member of the Social Studies Curriculum Review Committee.
- Coordinate/ supervise day trips, camp outings, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and Meet the Teacher Night.
Third Grade Teacher, All Saints Lutheran School, Islip, NY | 9/99 - 6/02
- As the only third grade teacher, implemented the third grade curriculum for a class 19-23 multicultural and ESL students in areas of teaching, testing, grading, assessment, and behaviour modification.
- Succeeded in maintaining a structured classroom where students displayed a genuine interest in all subject areas, participated in monthly book projects, and met/ exceeded personal and academic goals.
- Collaborated with pullout resource room teachers and tutored students after-school in reading strategies.
- Orchestrated culturally influenced performances to celebrate Hispanic Heritage and African Heritage months.
- Attended New York City Board of Education in-service workshops for non public school teachers.
JESSICA S. PARKS
Resume - Page 2 of 2
COACHING/ RECREATION COUNSELING
Sports Program Coordinator, Blake Day School, Massapequa, NY | Summer 2003
Youth Counselor (Volunteer), Junior/ High School, St. Francis Lutheran Church | 2001 - Present
Girl's High School Basketball Coach (Volunteer), St. Francis Lutheran Church | Winters 2001 - Present
Girl's Junior High School Volleyball Coach, St. Francis Lutheran School | Fall 2002 - 2003
Girl's Junior High School Basketball Coach, St. Francis Lutheran School | Winters 2002 - 2003
Basketball Coach (Volunteer), Special Olympics | Winter 2000
Head Recreation Counselor, Long Island Lutheran Summer Programs | Summers 1993 - 1998
Sports Program Coordinator
- Held full responsibility for coordinating age-appropriate sporting activities for 50-60 male female children ranging from ages 4-10 divided into five separate age groups with counselor-child ratio of 1:9.
- Taught physical education lessons that strengthened balance, coordination, agility, and fine/ gross motor skill development through hopping, jumping, skipping, and running.
- Worked closely with older children in areas of mentorship, peer mediation, and conflict resolution.
- Maintained accident logs and reported behavioural problems to supervisor.
Basketball/ Volleyball Coach
- Organized daily practices and tryouts for up to two teams per season (Basketball or Volleyball).
- Determined the best team lineup and positioning of players throughout evaluation of each player's physical ability and knowledge of playing strategies.
- Special Olympics: organized and refereed developmentally appropriate basketball games for mild-to-severely handicapped adults using dribbling and throwing techniques to strengthen fine/ gross motor skills.
Intern Co-Director, Islip Summer Recreation Program, Islip, NY | Summer 2002
- Taught morning and afternoon sessions with responsibility for implementing a physical education curriculum for 50-60 children divided into various age groups ranging from ages 6-12.
- Organized age-appropriate sporting events that included basketball, wiffleball, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, and volleyball, with a focus on game strategies, teamwork, and corporation.
- Discussed the dangers of violence, peer pressure, and the importance of health and hygiene.
- Ensure safety with the use of cones, site inspections, supervision, and ample provision of fluids.
- Managed inventory and purchasing of sporting equipment with limited budget of $1,000.
New York State American Alliance For Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance (NYSAHPED)
American Alliance For Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
Phi Epsilon Kappa Physical Education Society
Windows 98; MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Grade Quick, Reading Counts, Amazon Trail, Kid Pix, Kidspiration, Spelling and Math Blaster, Internet research