26633 Segovia • Clearwater, FL 33703
Home: 866.990.8821 • [email protected]
PUBLISHER | SENIOR EXECUTIVE
Strategic problem-solver who envisions smart solutions and executes with urgency across all levels of the organization. Hands-on leader who is able to keep teams focused and productive. Outstanding strategist that is able to deliver record breaking revenue growth in highly competitive business markets. Skilled in negotiating partnerships, alliances, and other business transactions. Keen ability to forecast industry trends, capture opportunities, and catapult new ventures. Skilled in multiple areas of newspaper management, budgeting and fiscal management, marketing, business development and public speaking.
Business Planning & Development ~ Public Relations ~ P&L Management ~ Contract Negotiations ~ Policy Development ~ Staff Leadership ~ Strategic Planning ~ Organization & Communication ~ Team Development & Leadership ~ Revenue & Profit Growth ~ Productivity & Performance Improvement ~ Business Distribution Strategist ~ Seizing Market Opportunity ~ Fundraising Strategies ~ Media Relations ~ Logistics
RECENT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
STAR-GAZETTE AND THE ITHACA JOURNAL, Elmira, NY | 1999 – 2008
Subsidiary of the Gannett Company, the largest newspaper group in terms of circulation including USA TODAY, the nation's largest.
President and Publisher
Led a customer-centric organization through insightful leadership and accountability ultimately expanding the overall reach of the newspaper. Effectively managed the daily operations of two newspapers in Central New York with full operational responsibility including budgeting, administration, P&L performance, staff planning and leadership, sales, marketing, circulation and collections while directing a team of 170 employees. Routinely introduced productivity improvement, cost reduction and performance initiatives including the modernization of the newspapers layout.
- Created the successful niche publications, Health Matters magazine and Business Monthly, resulting in a 25% spike in profit and spearheaded successful cooperative ventures with local broadcast outlets which further strengthened relationships between the newspaper and community through positive press and public relations.
- Directed the design and development of website with a strong focus on news coverage, including daily multiple updates and increased customer satisfaction, as measured by two independent market surveys over a 5 year timeframe.
- Developed marketing partnerships with local television stations that allowed an operational streamlining of personnel costs, turned around a failing newspaper, The Ithaca Journal, in one year and established reciprocity agreements with sister newspapers in Binghamton and Ithaca resulting in a substantial reduction in personnel costs.
- Created the $100,000 Star-Gazette Fund to respond to community philanthropic needs and chaired a $17M capital campaign for a local performing arts facility.
THE SARATOGIAN, Saratoga Springs, NY | 1986 – 1999
Broadsheet-style daily newspaper covering Saratoga County, NY and specifically the city of Saratoga Springs.
Rapidly transformed company into an operationally efficient and highly productive business, now recognized as an industry powerhouse. Drove the strategic growth and business development of a 12K daily circulation newspaper and a 27K weekly publication circulation, "Community News," serving the suburban area. Provided direction and management for a staff of 115 while directing the budget, P&L, staffing and print production. Hand-selected as Assistant to the Publisher for the Poughkeepsie Journal in 1986, supporting administrative operations and community relations for the oldest publication in New York and the fourth oldest in the country with a circulation of 43K.
VICTOR LIONEL, PAGE TWO
- Substantially strengthened community relations through creative and innovative initiatives, including hosting "The Media Project," a public radio talk show.
- Grew company revenue 40% over a 9 year span, from $10M to $14M, and grew company market value 128%, from $14M to $32M, over the same time span.
- Delivered 25% profitability year over year despite competing with four larger regional newspapers.
- Recognized as community leader for philanthropy and higher education and awarded an honorary doctorate by the State University of New York.
USA TODAY, Washington, DC
National American daily newspaper with one of the widest circulations of any newspaper in the United States.
Deputy Managing Editor – News
Deputy Managing Editor – Money
- Supervised Washington, DC and international news report for daily newspaper with a circulation of 1.4 million.
- One of the founding editors. Directed all functions of the financial news department. Supervised a staff of 50. Assisted in policy development, recruitment and training of start-up staff.
DETROIT FREE PRESS, Detroit, MI
Largest daily newspaper in Detroit.
Assistant City Editor
- Managed and edited page one Q&A column for 650,000 circulation daily. Directed all aspects of suburban news coverage.
- Covered small business, investments and personal finance.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Executive Juris Doctor, Concord Law School of Kaplan University
B.S. in Law, Concord Law School
Undergraduate studies, IUPUI
Poynter Institute for Media Studies, American Press Institute, Executive Management Development
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS
Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, State University of New York
Gannett's President's Ring
Indiana Distinguished Citizens Award
Paul Harris Fellow - Rotary International
State Education Department - Served on three statewide task forces or study groups