SARA H. SMITH, CPA
(111) 222-3333 • [email protected] • www.linkedin.com
SENIOR-LEVEL TAX DIRECTOR
A versatile tax leader with experience in multiple industries, including telecom, healthcare, and retail, offers a proven track record of success in cultivating strong teams for corporate tax accounting and other financial functions. Effectively builds, develops, mentors, and leads high performance teams in significantly impacting financial performance through the development and implementation of innovative tax strategies that minimize federal and state taxes. Leads external audits and negotiations with government jurisdictions to ensure compliance and drive low incidents of findings.
Areas of Expertise:
Tax Research & Planning – Federal & State-Level Regulatory Compliance – Corporate Tax Accounting – Forecasting Reporting – Auditing – P&L/ Budgeting – Training & Development – Contract Negotiations – Communications Strategic Planning – Policy Development & Implementation – Process Improvement – Due Diligence – Cost Controls
Select Career Highlights:
- Improved Company A’s tax compliance procedures by converting tax preparation software, creating a more proficient tax provision model, and amending prior year tax returns using NOL carry backs.
- Oversaw the tax component of financial due diligence for multiple mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures of stocks, assets, and various joint ventures associated with the company’s aggressive growth strategy.
- Filed several “Change of Accounting Methods” in order to reduce federal income tax liabilities in excess of $10M.
- Negotiated more than $2M in tax incentives for a new distribution center in Phoenix, AZ.
- Completed a successful $140M Asset Based Lending Credit Facility with Company B in July 2015.
Tax Director – Company Name | 2005 – 2017
Managed corporate tax departments, cash management, investor relations, stock equity management, and the treasury functions, including creation of cash analytic models, for a parent company and subsidiaries operating in all 50 states.
- Managed federal and state tax compliance and tax accounting (ASC 740), implemented treasury forecast modeling, and automated the stock equity compensation program for executives and board members.
- Led successful implementation of outside consulting projects with Big 4 accounting and consulting companies.
- Directed three successful “no change” federal income tax audits as well as numerous state income and franchise tax, sales tax, use tax, and property tax audits; implemented strategies to minimize or eliminate audit exposure.
- Researched and implemented all tax law changes, including the recent Tangible Property Regulations.
- Established and enhanced the tax department’s policies and procedures within the guidelines of the organization’s structure while effectively adhering to all SOX documentation requirements.
Tax Director/ Manager – Company Name | 2000 – 2005
Promoted to Tax Director for improving the company’s effective tax rate, restructuring the organization’s tax entities, and significantly reducing the company’s overall tax exposure/ liabilities.
- Directed all aspects of federal and state tax compliance for parent company and its 40+ related entities in 45 states.
- Integrated new/enhanced policies within the Finance group to render the department SOX compliant.
- Led planning and administering the organization’s equity compliance and reporting requirements with SEC/ 10Q/ K.
- Managed projects aimed at tax savings such as cost segregation, purchase price allocation, and transaction costs.
Education & Credentials:
MBA – University Name | BS, Accounting – University Name | Certified Public Accountant
Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountant